I think perhaps in the back of my mind I was thinking about the Inauguration and the historical effect of a person of color taking the Oath of Office?
I just finished Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza. It took me to tears many times. I was impressed to learn of her willingness to forgive the persons who killed her parents. She had strength from God obviously. Her prayer life while she was hidden for the 91 days must have been amazing. She says that the Rosary was her life line those days. Sometimes I dream of silence, but I'm not sure that my emotional state would have been as positive as hers if I had been in her situation. This book was very encouraging for me to think about how I might try to spend more time in prayer for those who are currently faced with Civil Wars around the world. I've requested her other book and also her movie.
Another book about persons of color was a book recommended by the children's librarian at our local library. (thanks Katie!) The Wall of Cartagena seems to be a novel first for writer Julia Durango. Very well written historical fiction about the slavery boats that landed in the West Indies. Her main character a fictional boy named Calepino who spends much time with a Father Pedro who in the authors notes states is Father Pedro Claver. There are references to Don Quixote as well as The Divine Comedy. And since I am totally on a Galileo kick, I was pleased with her slipping in a Jewish man (Dr. Mendo Lopez de Campo)who leaves his native country to serve the lepers and reads Galileo's work! Since Julia lives in Ottawa, IL and says she spent time at the UofI, I wonder if she practices the Catholic faith?