Saturday, May 15, 2010

Beautiful Girlhood...

Last year for my 10 year old's birthday, we got away for a little retreat of sorts.    I wanted to keep the lines of communication open and create a deeper attachment as we begin the changes from girlhood to womanhood.
This past year I have been really called to work on virtue with my daughters (both in myself and helping them).  The resources available are endless!
Currently I am reading through slowly with my oldest, Beautiful Girlhood by Karen Andreola.  Each chapter gives us things to discuss and helps keep topics flowing.
Librivox version to listen aloud


I'm also talking with other homeschooling moms that have grown up with their daughters.  One idea that I got that seems to work great is a mother-daughter notebook.  From time to time, when I have something I'd like to communicate to her, I write in this book.  Then I hide it under her pillow for her to find when she goes to sleep.  Sure enough the next night (or the same night!) it finds it's way under my pillow.

Here's one moms way of using the book.

A magazine subscription I hope to purchase for someone's birthday.

What hints to you have about helping to make the transition smooth and to keep communication at it's peak?