Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Observing the child and giving them what they need.

Montessori has taught me to observe the child.

Charlotte Mason has allowed me the presence to read aloud and to keep those kids out of doors as much as I can.  I try to create an atmosphere of learning here.  Even when it doesn't seem like much learning is going on.

This week I have observed the children playing "funeral".  More than once.  That proves it.  We've been to too many funerals this month.  Too many this year.  At least they see it as part of the natural process of what happens in this world.  Perhaps it's not too bad that they are playing funeral.

And we've been out of doors.  Enjoying the snow.  Trying to create snowmen with what little snow stays.

And processing about what it means to see the dead bodies of loved ones.

So now I get back to observing and reading to my children.  Perhaps I need to find some books about death.

(that's where we've been)....