A few days ago I returned from a two day retreat in the rolling hills of Minnesota.
It was rural. At least 12 miles from a town. The delightful setting of chickens and lambs, prairies and rustic settings allowed for a peaceful mind.
I only took 9 pages of notes. But my mind is full of thoughts.
Most encouraging were the first remarks by Nancy Kelly. She suggested how important it was to keep homeschooling fresh. To not let the grooves (or habits) become problems in your homeschooling style. I was wrinkly in my mind at first as she shared. I like habits. I like the simplicity of things remaining the same. When I have a change in my day, I can get rather snarky. I want the children to follow the plans I have laid out day after day and not deviate.
But my eyes were opened.
Its when I begin to think things are "groovy" that I forget to follow the child's lead. After all they are the best teachers of themselves. It's when I get between the good book and them or between the relationship they are developing with a big idea that I begin to ruin their learning.
In the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd training I've received, similar discussions have been made about getting out of the way of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the best educator of the hearts of a child and a catechist does well to stay quiet and out of the way.
I promise myself to let this next month be fresh. Fun and full of joy for the children who live in this atmosphere of education in this home. (baby comes in four weeks so he/she will keep it fresh after that!)
The main theme was Living Science. Being a person with a science degree, I thought I had a good handle on what to use for a living science education with my children. But as with most homeschooling families I know, high school comes in looming. We forget the philosophy and methodology we embraced when we began Charlotte Mason as our guide. We begin to think in terms of college entrance exams. Spooky. Scary.
Jennifer Gagnon (read Gone-yo) gave four great sessions setting us up to be the best educators for our own children. Knowing our children better than any other teacher could, we know how to find living books that engage them. We can pick living books that will give them the roots to discover the love of learning science. It's up to us to create the environment, the atmosphere, of loving science in our homes. We need not be upset by expectations of institutions for if we love learning ourselves. We will help our children discipline themselves to learn what they need.
Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts--A. Einstein
Jen challengened us that every book we use to educate in science should give the child awe and wonder. Books that take away the joy should be discarded. She used a great example of people who are willing to stand in line for an hour at an admusement park only to be awed for a 3 minute ride. How much more can we create the desire for our children of the love of science if we give them wonderful books. They could be awed for a whole term on one type of science! No drudgery through pages and pages to get one gem of joyful learning.
These living books are what create great depth in the hearts of our children for science. It's the roots that take a deep hold and keep their interest after the 20 minute daily reading is over. It's what allows the shoots of their minds to take flight into new areas and new depths. And when we encourage them to find those activities (you might call them scientific experiements) to fly, they make connections between the different roots in their minds and hearts.
Who doesn't want their child to adore science (and math and history for that matter)??
"Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” ― L.M. Montgomery
So besides my notes. I also had so many wonderful conversations with other mothers. I was blessed to share late nights with two friends who live 5+ hours away from me. We also were able to pray the Divine Office one morning together.
The kindred spirits that were at the retreat were those kinds of mothers who wear their babies. They agree with Charlotte Mason that children are persons and begin treating them as such from birth. They are the kinds of mothers who love nature and agree that there isn't bad weather, but poor choices of clothing.
We shared awe at the caterpillars removing all the leaves on milkweed plants. We smiled at the babies cooing (and crying) in their mothers arms. We shared meals in common and sometimes tears over those meals. We smiled at the barn swallows feeding their young on the prairie.
These were real women. Mothers who had set aside much to homeschool their children.
It's my hope that I can attend again some day. Life finds ways of changing us for the better. This was one of those weekends.
I came away a stronger homeschooling mother.
Challenged to integrate the CM ways to a new level.
Encouraged that there are other mothers struggling to give their children the best.
Refreshed to see my old friends and make new ones.
Thank you to the ladies that put so much work into the touches that made the time away a true retreat.