Sunday, June 24, 2007
I MISSED IT!
Today at Mass the three youngest seemed to be extra figetty. It's quite comical to think that I get the pleasure of focused worship at Mass. There are babies to be handed back and forth, toddlers crawling over you while you kneel, children who need to "sit by daddy!!!" and so on. At least our oldest now sits silently (maybe daydreaming at times). This Sunday as no exception. The toddler boy seemed to need constant movement. At one point I was handing off the baby to daddy and dragging the boy up from under the kneeler. As I whispered to him that the priest was up front, the bell rang. Then in a loud voice he exclaims "OH no I missed it" and then begins to cry. It was so tender. He had really unfocused until that point in the Mass and then was suddenly rivoted back to the focus....we are here to worship and adore Jesus Christ who is truely present in the host. I thought of how many times I had "missed it"....not because I was squirming on the floor, but because I had let my mind wander from the true meaning of the Mass. Lord help me not "miss it" again.