So today I had to find a way to "soft boot" my computer.
Which lead me down the road of thinking of "pulling myself up by my bootstraps".
As I tried to catch a mental image of leaning over to pull up my boots...as if that would move me farther along in life....I realized what pickle of a statement this really is.
And off a wondering I went.
We just can't do it on our own. It's never meant to be that way. We grow our lives hoping for independence
not realizing that it's in our interdependence that we really live.
We must be able to have the humility to receive help from others in order to live our lives fully.
And those that give us the help might be in the smallest ways.
A smile across the aisle in this busy shopping store.
A kind word after Mass. (really, you seriously think my kids sit still?)
The rub across the back before he leaves for work.
A child that helps another child find those crazy missing socks.
These are the real strappings of the kinds of boots that I need.
So you won't find me wearing my snow boots or even in a pair of rain boots for that matter. I'm just writing a list of those things I'm thankful for....and knowing that I just can't pull myself up by my own bootstraps.