Saturday, August 20, 2011

Shakespeare in the Homeschool

I fondly remember visiting local Shakespeare outdoor plays when I was in college and highschool.  This homeschool includes them too.  This year we have been dabbling in Twelfth Night.  We read from Lamb's book and also Nesbits.

(someone recently asked me if we were schooling through the summer...and I struggled at giving a black and white answer...does reading scripts and watching plays count??)

The BBC put together a film of the full length play in 1980 which we rented from Netflix.  The children were able to watch the whole thing.  Mister 7 year old wasn't as keen on the length, but 11 year olds and 9 year olds love it.  Having read two or three versions of the play and much discussion on it perhaps helped.

This summer we went and saw a local production of the play.





It was the typical outdoor theater.  This children's play was done in the yard of a English Manor.  Up close and personal in the shade is my kind of play.

I wonder, do you incorporate Shakespeare into your homeschool?