Saturday, September 10, 2011

Make the dentist smile.

We visit the dentist often.

More than four times a year.  Perhaps more than 6 times a year.

Not because we have lots of dental problems, but because we have so many people in this lovely family... it takes lots of visits to fit us all in.

As this family grew and grew, we began to get noticed wherever we went. I wondered what the dentist thought of my lot.  (They can be a rowdy group of kids.)

I have several children that really enjoy the dentist.  Why? I think the dentist enjoys my kids.  And in return they enjoy him too.

From the moment they are born, I take them along.  They go with me everywhere.  To the store, to the church, to the dentist.  They find the rhythm in our life.

So this summer the dental hygienist asks me as I carry baby across the office, "are you STILL homeschooling"??

I nod silently.

It would be enough to just have a "large" family.  Wouldn't it?
But I have to go and be more.                In her mind.

It isn't that amazing.  I just live this life one day at a time.  (little does she know that's all I can do some days.--just live)

So in between the plaque and the buzz of the polishing drills, I just flash my clean smile.  Perhaps just living is enough, I don't need to go and preach on a street corner.

I wonder, have you had any recent encounters with people regarding your choices in life?  Has your life been a witness without you even saying a word?