Yes, you are right. I'm actually the oldest of my parents children.
But an older sister is so helpful! Doesn't everyone want one?
There have been times in my life that I have picked ladies older than I to emulate. I pick my own older sister!
Perhaps it was those years of early marriage when I watched wives taking extra care of themselves to always remain attractive to their husband.
Later it was picking a young mother to watch as she disciplined her child. (and maybe choosing to do it drastically different).
In those early years of schooling, I found older mentoring mothers who had home schooled through the grade school years and were heading into high school.
It can be so helpful to have friends, older sisters in the faith, to be an example for me to follow!
This month, when my husband's Columbia Magazine (go Knights of Columbus!) arrived, I noticed it focused on religious freedoms. There were articles that considered especially the witness of how we live our faith through our family life and NFP.
I cried as I read the article about someone I consider an older sister in the faith.
For many years a local priest friend of ours has called us the "Martin" family. (We have tender nicknames for him too.)
I'd read about them in this book after I was given it from a friend.
But this month I began to see Zelie and Louis Martin as older mentors in the faith in a new way. I knew about their nine children and how four of them died in infancy. That must have been so hard. All of my children remain healthy.
And then to have five daughters. Wow. What estrogen levels in the house! To have all five of them want to join the convent.
For Zelie to die an early death of cancer. It must have been a painful agonizing death knowing she would leave a young daughter.
Today what is heroic about their lives is that they simply lived.
They did their work quietly and must have spent plenty of time showing their children with their lives how to be Christians.
Their daughters didn't need lots of discussion or instruction, it was exuded from the life they were surrounded by. And Louis was able to continue this life after Zelie's death.
I'm not called to live a heroic life. I'm called to just consistently live my vocation as mother and wife. And I'm looking at my big sister Zelie to continue to show me the way.
And now in my amazon wish list is a book of some of letters of coorespondance of Zelie Martin.
Taken from Lisa Henley's book A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms
(a Christmas present from a godson!)
Blessed Louis and Blessed Zelie Martin
together you lived a happy and holy marriage raising a family who gave itself fully to service of God and others.
Help our family to follow your example of love, faithfulness and care of one another.
Intercede on our behalf, that we may honor our parents, live out our days in holiness and listen to God's call for our vocations.
Entrust to God our loved ones, especially our deceased parents, grandparents and relatives.
May our family someday know the happiness of life together with you and your children in heaven.
Amen.
And while you are at it, consider reading a great interview with Vicki Thorn (yet another older sister of mine!) found in this month's Columbia magazine!