Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Table Blessing

When we sit down to dinner together in the evening, I say a table blessing.

It's not the kind of blessing that you think.

Yes, we do pray a prayer of thanksgiving over our food together, but then I try to say another blessing.

The day has been long.  I've been home with my darling children all day.  We've done the school work.  In the afternoon, I've found meaningful inactivity with them.  The crafts and games have been done.  I've seen them at their best and worst (and they have seen me too!)  We've grown in character another day together.

Now it's the time to share the day's review with our administrator.  What do I share?

In the presence of my children, I share a table blessing.

Aloud in front of all of them, I begin to recount the times I saw them doing good to each other.


The times when I saw them being Christ to each other.  I tell my husband of the gentleness of an older brother with his baby brother.  I recount the teenagers ability to put the toddler down for a nap.  I share the story of a tween taking a sibling on a walk to the library.  I repeat the words of a kindergartner that made us all laugh.  I show the photo of the world's best indoor tent.  I honor the drawing that we had to frame instantly and hang in the family room.  I reminisce of the ability of one child to practice her violin without reminding from me while she was still in her pajamas.

Were there fights today in which I intervened?  yes.
Were there broken things within in this house (both physical and emotional)? yes.
Did this mother say anything unkind today towards her children?  yes.

But today (and I hope many days), I want them to be blessed at the table.  I want these children, these gifts God has given me, to know that I see and honor the virtue they show, the character that they are trying to develop....

and I stop to give another table blessing.