Friday, November 16, 2012

the babies first hike and what we found there.

Each day that we have 70 degree weather after October 15th, I ponder how important it is to get outside for HOURS....knowing that we will soon want to spend a nature hour outside instead of unlimited hours.

We are gifted to live very near a state park (only 5 minutes away).  We visit the park often.  Sometimes just our family.  Sometimes I can encourage other homeschooling families to join us.

When baby boy was only four weeks old, I was ready to start our long hikes back up again.  I wear baby in a wrap or sling so he can join us on our trips.  When the weather gets cooler, I'll just wear the wrap under my coat.

Here's us setting out on an October hike.


Baby along for the ride and a little sun on the head.  (see what four weeks looks like?)


It became apparent that our trip was to be a "mushroom" trip.  Wow there were lots of kinds.  




And there always comes a part in our walk/run that we find a place to climb.


I pose those questions.  What do you see up?  What do you see down?  

What do you smell up? down?  Hear?  

We found that those trees without leaves are bare, but are not without excitement.  We spent quite a bit of time smelling (yes, smelling) the branches of different trees.  Nice!  Have you every broken a small tree branch and smelled it?