Tuesday, December 11, 2012

No room in the Inn

While reading our first Christmas book on the first Sunday of Advent, I reflected on the feelings Mary might have had as she and Joseph looked for a place to stay in Bethlehem.  I considered how this was Joseph's extended familys town.

Why wasn't there anyone to welcome them?  Had they all moved to neighboring town and they too were looking for a place to stay?

Was there some stigma in that Mary had been with child before their marriage?

What was it like to be nine months pregnant and not have a place that gives comfort?

Was Mary able to share openly with Joseph her thoughts as they were beginning their life together?

I also thought about early in my marriage how my husband and I traveled back to his college town.  After an initial discussion about calling ahead for lodging, my husband convinced me that we could easily find something.  It was a small town, but lots of hotels.  (This was before internet reservations!)

But wouldn't you know it after a 7 hour drive, we discovered it was homecoming weekend for the other two colleges in the town.  And every hotel was full.

I was unable to show the virtue which Mary did.  I complained.  I whined.  I wasn't even pregnant.  And we weren't going to see his family.

Praying this Advent to learn more from Mary...and contemplate with her at the manger.