This week I've been meditating on her short chapter about "interruptions, delays and inconveniences." [page 139]
I have six beautiful ones (maybe 7) that live in this house. Responding to the requests in the fashion and time they request is tiring. Sometimes it's down right frustrating!
And it's my job. My primary job to be the one that says "Yes" to the up-teenth "MOM" that is called.
EE shares a quote from James Fraser (1886-1938), who was a Protestant Missionary to China, "I am finding out that it is a mistake to plan to get through a certain amount of work in a certain time. It ends in disappointment, besides not being the right way to go about it, in my judgement. It makes one impatient of interruptions and delay. Just as you are nearly finishing-somebody comes along to sit with you and have a chat! You might hardly think it possible to be impatient and put out where there is such an opportunity for presenting the gospel ..."No admittance except on business" scarcely shows a true missionary spirit."
I could have nearly written that myself! I like Mother Teresa's quote about home and missionary spirit.
“It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start.”
My personal mission field is in this home. One day these dear interruptions of mine will leave this house. They will make decisions to continue their relationship with God or to walk a different path. It's my job right now to be available to them whenever they need. These inconviences are my responsibility. They are the ones I am to love...so pardon me, I must go respond to someone who is calling for a drink of water.