In talking with other "homesteaders", it's been a hard winter. We've had loads of snow. We've had so many friends loose livestock. There were ice storms. Weekly. We even missed church one Sunday!
It's been our first time to use a plow and tractor to shovel the driveway. It's been our first winter to chip ice out of the chicken waterer. We've learned to fill the wood burning stove day after day after day. It's been the first time I wished the snow would melt away.
And it's been work. To feed the animals. Remove the snow. Warm the house. Even just to get warm enough to feed the family.
It's been tiring. It's been rewarding. It'a allowed me a slower pace. More time to read and pray and to school the children.
It's been exhausting. It's been eye opening. It's been a long winter. (thank you Laura Ingalls Wilder.)
A homeschooling mom asked me if I was shocked about what living in the country was like this winter. And I have to admit, I've surprised myself. I'm happy that we are here. It was a learning curve. This year we got the highest curve. If years to come are less severe, we can totally do this forever! I actually enjoyed it when things got cancelled! We achieved so much on those days at home. We could school in the morning and then sled or skate in the afternoon....or just sip hot chocolate with floating marshmallows.
So as I'm raking away the dead leaves of the winter and watching the snow melt, I'm refreshed that we made this leap to the country. I'm more physically fit after a winter in the country in Illinois. I never left the winters before feeling fit for sure!
And here's my surprised 3 year old noticing that the chickens have taken a walk all the way to the front yard. (They are happy it's spring!) The windows are open and we can hear them too. I'm breathing fresh air.
