Our Lenten journey 2015 began well. This year my 12 year old and I created a water color "path" of sorts for us to follow through the 40 days.
We are using a cut and dyed slice of Agate to mark the place where we are trotting.
Every three or four days I am changing up our chalkboard message. We began with this one.
I slipped away for many talks at a local monastery. I specifically am continuing to dwell on hearing the voice of the Shepherd. The retreat master said that Abraham was given only on word... "go". I'm finding silence in my life to ponder what word God is giving me in this time of my life.
The retreat master also said that Lent requires my distance from freedom and spontaneous desires (that's fasting), my making a sanctuary in my soul for God (that's prayer), and resisting the desire to possess anything (that's almsgiving).
I adorned the front door, back door and mailbox with purple bows of the sort. I'm hoping people know liturgical colors and my choice for these random fluffy things...And they look great covered in snow!
It was sad to take down all the beautiful decorations we like in the house, but a simple Lenten meals for me starkness helps to clear the mind.
We pray the stations of the cross and the rosary together as a "school". I appreciated the sorrowful mysteries this week and the reflections written by the priest, Fr. Philippe.
I'm happy to report that we are keeping a more consistent than ever evening prayer time. It's been tricky with kids who have various schedules and daddies who work late and babies who sleep early and toddlers who create a ruckus....but finally we are praying compline with some beautiful regularity. And reading a chapter book aloud. AND hearing a little Catechism each night.
{fingers crossed for habits that stick}
And our Lenten words continue...












