Over the years of loosing books, not returning books to the library on their time schedule, finding books again when the semester is over...I've put a few guidelines/tips/rules together for our home to make my days more smooth.
We have 12 book shelves in our house. In various locations. Basically a book shelf in every room and hallway (no book shelves in the bathrooms...we need to you to be quick in there!). This idea that books are the decorations in every room means that you never know completely where a book might be...mainly.
I started using a basket kept on the floor for our library books. The idea is that books are borrowed and returned from this one basket and not shelved with our other home library books. This works, mostly. I also keep a close eye online at our borrowing status and if we need to renew a book that has taken a walk through the house. I've also become very close friends with the librarians both so that they can understand what kinds of books to recommend to us and that they have mercy on this mother as I try to keep track of loads of books. We are the family that staggers out of the library with our over filled bag. It's been best for me if I request most books through interlibrary loan. Our library is in a "village" of only 1,000 persons. We have access to all the major libraries around with our card, but it is so helpful to be able to request books to come to our local library. I can also ask for an extended book check out to help me with missing books.
![]() |
| Library basket |
![]() |
| Bookshelf used for five children's daily book reads |
![]() |
| Washi tape on the spine of an old book- |
![]() |
| Sticky note with reminders of what we read each week |
{and sticky notes are great for asking for deeper or wider work from a child!}
A word to the wise. Don't use a sticky note on a very, very old book page. They can stay stuck! Magnet book marks are a wiser use here and save the sticky note for the cover page. I make little notes as my goals for reading and post them inside the cover of our read alouds.
Keep books at eye level. I love open shelving book cases. We have three different kinds. This one is in the kitchen/eating area. I try to mix up the books that I would like people to conviently "find" to piggy back on the books that are assigned. It's good to have lots of books strewn around in my opinion. You just never know who's gonna start reading!
![]() |
| Open face front book case. |
What have you found helpful as you keep track of the current books you are using in your large homeschool family? I'm wondering!





