Friday, April 7, 2017

Pysanky Time



For the past seven or more years, my children and I have been doing Pysanky.  The local Anglican church has a group of ladies that learned Pysanky from the priests wife.  The priest and his wife had lived in New York City and learned from some Ukrainian women while living there.  When this priest and his wife moved to this area, she chose to pass on this skill to her parishioners.  I was lucky to be invited to join in the fun.  They now offer classes each Lent. It is such a delightful time to learn this art of dying and waxing.  Each year means more eggs for our family and it's great fun to compare the ones from years past.




















And it's so colorful to use them for decorating.  I love the symbolism found in the using flowers, fish and crosses.  Doesn't it just lift your heart and mind?


 

Have you had a chance to try your hand {and patience} at Pysanky?