Put in the Time.
I did a quick search of my own blog to see how I've improved in my own brush drawing over the years. I found a post about my first foray into intentional nature notebooking. My own habit of keeping up with journaling has waxed and wained over the years.
People ask me how often they should include brush drawing in their weekly schedule. I usually respond with a question myself. How soon would you like to feel comfortable drawing with a brush? Would you like to slowly learn over 10 years? Would you like to have a noticeable increase in confidence at the beginning? Let that help you decide how often to pick up your brush.
If you were in art school, you might be painting everyday. You might be looking at putting in several hours everyday to become great at something. So if you wanted to be mediocre, perhaps you would only put in an hour a week?
If you haven't read Outliers already, I highly recommend it. I have decided that I can now call myself a professional reader. I have put in the 10,000 hours reading aloud by now. That doesn't stop me from continuing to improve! Consider this when nature journaling or brush drawing. Be willing to put in the time and you will see great results!
My children have improved much quicker than I in brush drawing. Why? I wonder if it's because they don't have mental distractions to complete other tasks? Or is it because it's on their weekly schedule several times a week. There's my hint. Schedule the time to do dry brushing.
more to come...