I had previously downloaded and made a copy of the book by Mary Louisa Unwin. This was one book that had been referenced in Charlotte Mason writings and used in schools. Download your own copy here from Hathitrust.
We began by making our modeling boards and attaching an armature as instructed in the book. This was a fun day when Pop Pop brought over his skills and helped in our wood shop. One board was made for each student and one for the teacher too.



These are the tools that I ordered. The kit contained everything that was recommended in the book and more.


The clay I purchased was Sarget Art's Plastilina Modeling Clay. It comes in a 5 pound block. We have used it for eight weeks now and it's still going strong with five kids and one parent learner.
Each Wednesday is a scheduled learning time. I move to the next Model in the book. We began with an orange like directed. Second week we accomplished apples. The third week plums were the model, but it's winter here so we used dried dates. Models 4, 5 and 6 were pear, rock and lemon respectively. For week 7 we were unable to do pea pod, so just skipped to acorn. Model 9 is a Laurel leaf and I plan to use eucalyptus instead as we have some left over from Christmas!
The children and I have a designated a 30 minute slot right after lunch once a week. They are welcome to continue their work with the clay or move into other objects as they wish. My high school son has been working on a duck decoy. The younger boys are happy to make dragons and men as we have been reading some Tolkien folk tales which included some dragons. I could see us using clay for some other narrations in the future!
We do not keep these creations. They are just practice work and perhaps we look at them for part of one day. Then we return them to a plastic bag for our next clay time.
Have you been able to include clay modeling work as part of you homeschooling experience?




