Monday, March 7, 2011

Forgive me a sinner

Many years ago my family was able to attend Forgiveness Vespers with the Bishop John of Parma (Byzantine Catholic).  It was an experience I return to in my mind each year when Lent begins.
In our Roman Catholic churches we anticipate Lent beginning on Ash Wednesday while in our sister Eastern churches (Byzantine, Orthodox, etc) they have begun yesterday with the Forgiveness Vespers.  This Rite of prayers and "Lord have mercy"s repeated over and over is just a taste of the beauty of the Divine Liturgy.  Insense fills the air and the sung prayers are heavenly.
There is nothing like a bishop in all his splendor to ask you in your face "Forgive me, a sinner".  To which I replied with a kiss to his ring.  And then as I asked him "forgive me, a sinner" he replied with a kiss to the check and a profound bow.
I wonder how my attitude might change if my pastor or my bishop offered this gesture to me!  Would my bishop's attitude towards me change if I was able to ask his forgiveness?  It's at times like these that I wish my bishop even knew my name.  There are some good things to be said about having a small community!
So I ask you my reader...."please forgive me, a sinner".  May your Lent be frutiful.