Saturday, August 3, 2013

Seeing God's hand in everything

The story of our move:
Eight years ago when we were blessed with three children, we decided it was time to move from the big city (170,000+) to the village (900+).  We found a beautiful historic house (1868) and really enjoyed it.  We worked hard to make it the perfect fit for our growing family.  We added three children to it.  Two of those children were even born in the house.

But we didn't love living in the town.  We began to feel too close to some of our neighbors and as the climate in town changed to one of less order our hearts began to tell us the country was calling.  We had begun to help friends from time to time with chickens and other chores.  We also had two children who had taken interest in horses.  So we began to look at houses...in the country.

And I had my list:
Farm house
Barn or barns
Mature trees
Not bordered by corn/bean fields on all sides
Away from town, but not too far away
Easy access to the interstate, but not too close to hear it
Within our budget
In the same town and school district we currently lived

And perhaps I was too ambitious.  We looked at everything within our price range that came on the market.  Usually within the first two to three days it was available.

And we looked for one year, two years, three years.
I spread the word to friends that we were looking for that perfect place.

Nothing.

The neighbor kids had begun to be less than friendly to my children.  Probably typical junior high behavior for school kids, but not kind.  This made me feel sad that God was not providing a door or window for us to move.  Was this His way of saying no?  But I began to embrace his will.

And in embracing God's will for our family, I felt peace.

I began to see all the blessings of where we lived.
We could walk to church.
We could walk to the library.
We could walk to the post office and grocery store.
We had playmates near by.
There were delightful people in town who would stop by.
We had a dear neighbor in her 90's next door.
The kids could ride their bikes (mostly) in safety.


And then a friend of ours, who lives in the country, had a health crisis.  Our way to help was to do her farm chores.  We traveled to her house several times a day just before Holy week 2013.  One day when driving I noticed a new for sale sign on her road.

Hmmm.  I pulled into the driveway and said Wow.  The property was perfect.  The house was not.  (remember my list---this was not a farm house!)  But I called a realtor and went for a look the next day.

And the next day after we looked again.
It had everything we needed and wanted besides a really old house.

So we decided to take the next step.  Two days after we looked at the property, we put our 1868 house on the market.  It was Good Friday.
We showed the house three times on Saturday.
Twice on Monday.
Once on Tuesday and that very night we got and offer.

Yikes.  I didn't know it would be that fast!  So we were able to put an offer on the house and it was accepted.

Within a week we had sold and bought.

Thankfully the sellers needed two months to move out and auction their things that they had collected over the 42 years they had lived here!  So that gave me (and all the friends who helped me) more time to pack our things and mentally prepare fore such a move.

So the waiting and being willing to help a friend was part of the plan.  We feel blessed and hope that we are able to share this new place with many people.  God's mysterious ways are not my ways.  I'm learning...and wondering what He had in store for us next.