This is a continuation of a LONG series of reflections on how Charlotte Mason lives in our home.
You can read the first post here.
Knowledge of God
Knowledge of Man Part 1
Knowledge of Man Part 2
Knowledge of the Universe includes Science, Geography, Math, PE, and Handicrafts.
What do we use for Science?
We try to make even Science a family learning. I require individual reading as well as a group book and nature study every week. Some books we have enjoyed include:
The Study of Light
Parables from Nature
Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity
The Periodic Table
The Elements
Secrets of the Woods by William Long
Handbook of Nature Study
What do we use for Geography?
Geography is also a group read. I really enjoy books that are personal travelog in nature. Ones we have enjoyed include Walk Across America, Sovietrek, Walk the Bible, Eugeria. We follow along with a world map that hangs in the dining room/kitchen area.
Math? Whew this is a big one. I've gone to a more hands on approach math over the years. We began with RightStart Math in 2nd grade (before that simple Montessori style hands on activities). Now I've gone to less is more approach. We talk through Math concept each week as a group. I read a Math read aloud a couple of times a week. We drill skip counting every week. We play math games once a week. We touch Math in some way everyday. It's just a slice of the whole learning we accomplish. It never takes an hour per day of our time.
PE/Recess/Outdoor time.What do we do for PE? How to we best understand the universe? By spending time in it! Get outdoors. Everyday. Don't let the weather impact your time. Purchase "school supplies" that allow everyone (even mother) to get outside everyday. Doesn't mother need snow pants? Snow boots? Why should the weather keep us from enjoying the world around us?
Charlotte recommended SEVERAL hours out of doors everyday for those very young. And for those older, I think it's very important to continue! In our home, the older children are given more and more responsiblity for outdoor chores so that if it's not all about observing the nature around them and playing in the mud...it's about observing the changes in their animals and the way the weather impacts them. Chickens, cats, dogs and horse are the current and recent outdoor work. In those freezing cold months, it's amazing how quickly they can get the chores done!
Handicrafts.
This is such a wide knowledge! Many of these become pratctical life skills to carry with them! Knitting, embroidery, woodworking, baking...the list can be extensive.
I'll do a seperate post on things that have worked great for us soon.