I'm mixing things up. This is the first year that we aren't doing the majority of our schooling together as a family. We've had morning read alouds and learning right after Bible and prayer time for so many years. But now it's time adjust to the real fact that I have a junior in highschool all the way down to a 3 year old preschooler. The atmosphere needs to be wonderful for all of them.
I make a pile of morning read alouds with the younger crowd of three kids. Aged 3, 5 and 8 are enjoying these reads and so am I. I am for joy and ease.
Then we have copywork time. This is a poem that the older kids are memorizing. Some of the lines are memorized by the youngest kids. Remember by Christina Rosetti It's a discipline for us all to keep writing on a daily basis.
Math and fine motor work by the youngest.
Letter recognition and reading by the 5 year old. The 3 year old oversees and the 8 year old corrects, that's the life.
This was the read alouds with the older crowd. Shared nature study happens once a week. Dry brush was to follow. I was pleased to get all the aloud reading done before noon today. It allows much more time for the older kids to get their individual work done and have some support from me. We can have more conversations along the way when we all feel like progress through these heavy reads continue.
In the afternoon this is what chores and reading can look like. At the same time. Audio books to the rescue for some. I think she was listening to Helena by Waugh
And always some evening games. We love Spot it. All ages can join in. It's great how a 3 year old can really jump in and participate next to daddy.
Do you find it easy to adjust to multiple ages in the home? Does the atmosphere of your home reflect your understanding of seeing each of your students as unique persons? This mother is still wondering and learning.

