Saturday, May 1, 2010

Retreat before defeat....

Over the past six months or so, I have been working on making life more simple.  I've taken many things from Simplicity Parenting to heart (watch for notes in another post).  I've scaled down on our outside activities.  I've streamlined the house chores.  I've regained strength to follow our short lessons CM style and to spend the afternoons more free of this mom's ideas.

I find that I tend to like very organized (at least in my mind) plans for my prayer life too.  But they aren't simple.  So this weekend as husband and I retreat into silence at a local monastery.....I'm thinking of ways to simplify my prayer life.  I was challenged last night to think more about how much time I spend with Jesus each day.  I know I am not called to contemplative life....even though the glorious routines look so simple to me...I am called to this vocation of motherhood.  With it comes calls in the night, requests all the day, sadness when things don't go one's way.  I embrace those things (most days!) and know that someday I might look back on these days with fondness.  How can I make my prayer life simple?  What is it that increases my friendship with my loving God?  Time.  What kind of time can I put into my simple life in which I am truly focused on Him?

For this weekend it means taking moments away from family.  away from this computer.  away from my phone.  just to reconnect with my husband and my God.

 This weekend it's just that simple.