This time at the heart of the parent.
Have you read Last Child in the Woods? I have.
I'm reading his newest book, The Nature Principle. I can't seem to finish it. Why? Because I keep finding reasons to be outside in the dirt and less time to read when I return inside. But I WILL finish it. I must!
Quick thoughts from the book:
Did you know you naturally inhale a bacterium from the ground when you spend time outside? And did you further know that the bacterium has been shown to increase learning in mammals? Yes! It's another reason to be outside while schooling!
Did you know statistically your mental health is better when spending at least a "green hour" outside each day? (I've been trying to do this for years with my kids. It's one of my mottos. There isn't such a thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing)
So I've been pushed to be outside even more than my daily outside requirement. We've been outside more than in lately. Gardening, playing, walking, eating....and I tear myself away from responsibilities to read for myself when inside.
But I promise to post all my thoughts on this book and all my guilt about being inside reading when I finally finish it!
